Saturday, September 1, 2012

If you have problems, you are not using the tool correctly

Reviews: Oster 5712 Fiskars 9301 Power-Lever 14-Foot Tree Pruner

After reading the reviews I thought I would buy this tool because it was longer than the one in my local hardware store and since there were only 3 reviews out of 21 that did not give it a good rating I assumed those individuals were not using the tool correctly.

My pruner came today and the first thing I did was check the pole extension and durability. Sure enough the extension part of the pole was easily moved even when the lever was in the "lock" position. Since this was the reason for one of the bad reviews I inspected the mechanism to see if anything could be done. With a simple adjustment to the bolt secured by the nylon locking nut I was able to adjust the lock to the point where I could no longer move the extension when it was in the "lock" position (about 1 full rotation of the bolt on the locking nut).

Next was the saw blade. There were no instructions on how to tighten the blade so I put the pin in the first hole and secured the blade. It was very difficult to saw with the blade attached this way. Again after inspection the blade could be tightened on a second hole which made the blade straighter on the pole. After this adjustment I was easily able to cut through a 3-4 inch tree branch with not much effort.

The pruner blade easily was able to cut a branch that filled the entire opening of the metal hook that holds the branch. The rope did stretch a little but not much more than would be expected for a nylon rope.

Bottom line is this tool will do exactly what is expected of it with a few minor adjustments. It is well worth the money and performs its job very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment